17 May 2005

This day is king, tomorrow... it's kingdom

When I think of the world today I am reminded of the quote, "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." As I dont give modern man much credit for using his mind, I have to wonder how anyone is ever happy at all? Meet the cynic in me.

Through the lense of my mind's eye I view most people's lives as bold charades. Shakespeare said it best, "Strutting and fretting his hour upon the stage." Marked by self-perpetuated drama, they don thin veils of pseudo-reality and parade about proudly. More than just emperors with new clothes they build kingdoms and castles and seem content to rot within ... never to venture beyond the walls.

Doing what's right and reaching the pinnacle of your personal best is out. In modern life all things are measured by Oprah, Martha, Paris, and the presidence of case-law. It's the delusion, the smoke and mirrors, the vehicle of validation that make our little kingdoms ok to believe in.

But what good is community service without a deep belief in community? When does community service really become just lip-service: The hollow gong of shoulds, guilt, and group conformity that are the new standard by which measure ourselves. Ask not what you can do for your country but rather what your country has done for you lately. Morality and personal integriy have been replaced by the idea that if nobody knows, nobody cares, and no tree ever falls in our own woods unless it is observed and denounced by the rest of mankind.

But if I fail to believe in their reality, what do I see as my own? I see today as king and tomorrow its kingdom... every allegence and honor should be given to today. Today has an obligation to plan well and ensure prosperity for the kingdom of tomorrow.

Is it better or is it still a stubborn justification that let's me sleep at night? Am I cliniging to my own perception of reality like a cliff lest I fall from the heights and impale myself on someone elses dream?